Home Repertory Dethier Architectures Kempart Loft
- The Kempart loft project emerged from a meeting between Daniel Dethier and a client, who was passionate about precision engineering. It demonstrates how industrial spaces can be transformed into housing without becoming locked into stereotypes.[...]
We were fortunate to have a committed and receptive client who was fascinated by precision engineering. This allowed us to apply our research into a loft's reinterpretation, and to integrate a technically advanced architectural object
- The movement to transform small and medium-sized industrial sites into housing units began in the 1970s. Often, however, such renovations were superficial in nature – a passé, rough-hewn treatment for a lifestyle out of synch with contemporary expectations. Most observers are aware of this, yet preconceptions about how "lofts" should be designed are as deep-rooted as they are pseudo-contemporary. Hence, getting off the beaten track and proposing bold aesthetic choices combined with cutting-edge finishings was more difficult in this context than for other types of projects. For the Kempart loft, the concept was straightforward: to create a living space for a couple with no children in an abandoned industrial bakery. Beyond the basic technical requirements, our proposal was mainly focused on the space's layout, function and sensitivity.[...]
To begin, we opened the space up as much as possible, removing the tie beams and strengthening the rafters with metal plates set in the ridge beam. The resulting 154 sq. m open area was structured by the introduction of a rounded modular unit housing two bathrooms, storage areas, a toilet and the heating and ventilation systems.
The modular unit divides the interior space and provides for various functions while creating a range of ambiences. Beginning with the entrance, the space provides zones for the hall, office, lounge, kitchen, dining room, bedroom and dressing room.
- Private houses
- Year of conception
- Year of delivery
- Jean Glibert
- Welkenraedt Funeral Center2012Welkenraedt
- Lecture halls "Opéra" for the Université de Liège2010–2013Liège
- Cultural center Alter Schlachthof2002–2015Eupen
- Social housing Droixhe1999-2003–2008Bressoux