Home Repertory SumProject Renovation of the old thermal springs
Renovation of the old thermal springs
- Barbara Van der Wee
- Design, realisation and operation of a multi-functional building complex (Design Build Finance Maintain model) including a high-standing hotel, a wellness centre, a restaurant, a parking lot, shops and several apartments.
- Since the new thermal springs were built, the historical building by the architect Léon Suys (built in 1868) fell into disuse. Thanks to its location next to the cultural centre and casino, (built in 1908 according to the plans of the architect Alban Chambon), and the wonderful view of the surrounding hills, the building occupies a special place in the city centre.[...]
The historical structure, symmetrically built around a central axis, is restored with a view to bring light and transparency into the heart of the project. The majestic entrance and the reception rooms are restored and given a half-public function, while the entrance to the hotel is moved to the rear of the building, where the entrance to the thermal springs used to be found. The ‘recto-verso principle’ by Léon Suys is in this way honoured again. A new construction at street-front is built, redefining the building block and offering a green patio in the centre of the complex.
The reorganisation of this old thermal bath building is a sustainable project with special attention being paid to low-energy use and, given the close relationship with the water, reduced use of drinking water and rational management of rainwater. In this way, the project brings the old prestige and the symbolic meaning of the thermal springs in the historic city centre back in a sustainable project for the 21st century.
- Concept proposal
- Year of conception
- 2010 -
- Ville de Spa
- Bureau Greisch
- Special techniques
- MATRIciel (développement durable)
- Anne Guilleaume (aspects historiques)
- Denys sa (entrepreneur)
- Foremost Immo (promoteur)